|Egg yolks||12 , beaten|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon||1 , juiced|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sift 4 times|
|Egg whites||12 , beaten|
1. Line the bottom of a tube pan, angel food pan or bundt pan with baking paper.
2. Preheat the oven to 325°F
3. Into a large basin, sift together, the flour, 3-4 times, using a fine mesh sieve. Keep aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl of an electric beater, place the egg yolks. Make sure the bowls are clean and dry.
5. To the yolks, add the sugar and beat together using an electric beater, until the mixture is thick and light yellow and forms ribbons when dropped.
6. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the batter, lightly folding and cutting in and not stirring vigorously or else the cake will be dense and flat.
7. Add the lemon juice alternately with the flour to adjust the consistency and prevent lumps.
8. Beat the egg whites, sugar and salt, with an electric beater (make sure the blades are washed clean and dry) until soft peaks are formed.
9. Lightly fold the egg whites into the cake batter, cutting in folding and not beating.
10. Finally add the vanilla and gently stir into the batter.
11. Immediately pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
12. Bake the cake in the preheated oven for about 50 to 60 minutes until the cake leaves the sides of the pan and is spongy to touch. Insert a skewer and see if it comes out clean.
13. Remove the cake from the oven wearing oven mitts and allow it to rest in the tin for 5 minutes then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
14. Slice the cake and serve it with tea or coffee or frost with your favorite frosting and serve it as a dessert if you like.