Light Fruit Cake
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Golden raisins||1⁄2 Pound (1 1/2 Cups)|
|Dried apricots||3 Ounce, chopped to make 1/2 cup|
|Toasted almonds||11 Ounce (2 Cups)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Candied pineapple||9 Ounce, chopped to make 1 1/2 cup|
|Red candied cherries||6 Ounce, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Green candied cherries||6 Ounce, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Candied citron||3 Ounce, chopped to make 1/2 cup|
|Candied orange peel||3 Ounce, chopped to make 1/2 cup|
|Candied lemon peel||3 Ounce, chopped to make 1/2 cup|
|Pitted dates||3 Ounce, chopped to make 1/2 cup|
|Dried figs||3 Ounce, chopped to make 1/2 cup|
|Flaked coconut||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Moist)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||5 , well beaten|
|Orange juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Orange juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Toasted almonds||2 Tablespoon, grated|
1. Prepare two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-in. loaf pans.
2. Bring water to boiling.
3. Add golden raisins and dried apricots and again bring to boiling.
4. Pour off water and drain fruit on absorbent paper. Set aside.
5. Sliver toasted almonds and set aside.
6. Place 1/2 cup flour in a large bowl.
7. Chop and combine pineapple, red candied cherries, green candied cherries, candied citron, candied orange peel, candied lemon peel, pitted dates and dried figs with flour.
8. Add well-drained raisins and apricots, slivered almonds and flaked coconut.
9. Set aside.
10. Sift together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder and salt.
11. Cream butter and lemon juice until butter is softened.
12. Add sugar gradually, creaming until fluffy after each addition.
13. Add eggs in thirds, beating thoroughly after each addition.
14. Beat vigorously about 150 strokes. Blend in dry ingredients alternately with orange juice.
15. Add dry ingredients in fourths, liquid in thirds to creamed mixture, beating only until smooth after each addition. Finally, beat only until batter is smooth (do not overheat). Pour batter over fruit and mix thoroughly.
16. Place a shallow pan containing 2 cups water on bottom rack of oven during baking time.
17. Turn batter into pans, spreading to edges.
18. Bake at 275 °F 2 to 2 1/2 hrs. or until cake tests done .
19. Cool cakes on cooling racks before removing from pans. Wrap tightly in waxed paper or aluminum foil and store in cool place to age for several weeks before serving. Once or twice a week, using a pastry brush, paint cake with rum and store again. Before serving, brush glaze lightly over cakes.
20. For Glaze—Combine light corn syrup, water and orange juice in a saucepan.
21. Bring to boiling and boil for 1 min.
22. After brushing glaze over cake, sprinkle cake with grated, toasted almonds.
23. Decorate with candied cherries and candied citron; brush these with glaze. When glaze is dry, slice cake and serve.
Calories 1304 Calories from Fat 542
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 60 g91.6%
Saturated Fat 26.2 g130.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 192.6 mg64.2%
Sodium 440.5 mg18.4%
Total Carbohydrates 187 g62.4%
Dietary Fiber 14.1 g56.2%
Sugars 122.4 g
Protein 20 g39.8%
Vitamin A 26.5% Vitamin C 64.3%
Calcium 26.9% Iron 30.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet