Walnut and Lemon Meringue Cake
|Margarine||10 Milliliter (2 Teaspoon, To Grease Tins)|
|Oil||10 Milliliter (2 Teaspoon, To Oil Tins)|
|Egg whites||4 Medium|
|Caster sugar||9 Ounce (250 Gram)|
|Walnuts||5 Ounce (150 Gram)|
|For filling and topping|
|Double cream||1⁄2 Pint (275 Milliliter)|
|Lemon curd||75 Milliliter (75 Milliliter)|
1. Let the oven heat to 375°F (190°C/Gas 5).
2. Grease and line 2 x 18 cm (7 in) round sandwich tins and brush the sides of the tins with a little oil.
3. Beat the egg whites until stiff.
4. Put in half the sugar and beat again until very stiff.
5. Put in the rest of the sugar and keep beating until the meringue is so stiff that it does not flow.
6. Chop 100 g (4 oz) of the walnuts roughly and stir into the meringue with a metal spoon.
7. Between the prepared tins distribute the mixture and smooth the tops with a palette knife.
8. Let it bake for 35—40 minutes until firm and golden.
9. Take out of the oven and turn out carefully on to a wire rack to cool.
10. Peel off the lining paper carefully.
11. Whip the cream and fold half into the lemon curd.
12. Use this to sandwich the meringue cakes together.
13. Spread the rest of the cream over the top of the cake, swirling it with a round-bladed knife to make a pattern.
14. Decorate with the remaining walnuts.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3310 Calories from Fat 2026
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 232 g357%
Saturated Fat 11.4 g57%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 201.1 mg8.4%
Total Carbohydrates 281 g93.6%
Dietary Fiber 9.5 g38%
Sugars 261 g
Protein 38 g75.7%
Vitamin A 7.7% Vitamin C 3.1%
Calcium 14.7% Iron 23.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet