Hannah Obee S Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake
|Salted butter||4 1⁄2 Ounce (115 Gram, Plus Extra For Greasing)|
|Plain chocolate||8 Ounce (225 Gram, 70% Cocoa)|
|Milk||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Light muscovado sugar||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||2 Large, separated|
|Creme fraiche||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Self raising flour||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Sea salt crystals||1 Tablespoon|
|Chocolate truffles||1 Tablespoon (To Decorate)|
|Caster sugar||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Golden syrup||2 Tablespoon|
|Salted butter||4 1⁄2 Ounce (115 Gram)|
|Double cream||4 Ounce (125 Milliliter)|
|Creme fraiche||2 Tablespoon|
|Plain chocolate||8 Ounce (225 Gram, 70-80% Cocoa Solids)|
|Double cream||9 Fluid Ounce (250 Milliliter)|
|Sea salt crystals||3⁄4 Tablespoon (To Taste)|
1. In a large saucepan, take 100ml of water.
2. Add sugar and golden syrup to the water and heat gently till the caramel is golden-brown and melted. Tilt the pan occasionally while cooking to mix the melting ingredients and to prevent burning.
3. Turn down the heat completely and whisk in butter, double cream and crème fraiche. Be careful as the hot syrup will make the mixture bubble up during whisking.
4. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
5. Prepare a 23cm baking dish by greasing it and lining the base with parchment paper.
6. Use a large pan to melt together chocolate, butter and milk over a moderate heat
7. Turn down the heat, cool the mixture slightly and beat in egg yolks, crème fraiche.
8. Add this mixture to the chocolate mixture followed by the flour and baking powder.
9. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites till they are stiff and fluffy.
10. Slowly add a third of the egg whites in to the cake mixture with a gentle folding motion. Once the first third is incorporated, gently fold in the rest with the sea salt.
11. Pour the mix into the prepared baking tin and bake for 40-50 mins until firm
12. Cool for 20 mins on a wire rack and remove from the tin. Allow the cake to cool completely before adding the ganache
13. In a saucepan, prepare the ganache by heating cream and chocolate over a gentle heat. pour into a bowl to cool
14. Assemble the cake by slicing the cooled cake into two layers horizontally.
15. Layer the caramel on to the slices generously as the sweet taste will balance the bittersweet taste of the unsweetened ganache.
15. Sandwich the layers together and then cover the cake with the ganache topping
17. Sprinkle with sea salt crystals, and set chocolate truffles on the cake as decoration before serving.
The caramel can be made up to four days in advance and chilled. Heat gently before using