Cornish Fruited Saffron Bread
|Saffron threads||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Brandy/Fresh lemon juice||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dry yeast/1 cake compressed yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package)|
|Lukewarm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , well beaten|
|Melted butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lukewarm milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs), sifted|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Powdered mace||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Currants||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Diced candied orange peel||2 Tablespoon|
|Diced candied lemon peel||2 Tablespoon|
|Diced citron||1 Tablespoon|
|Water||1 Tablespoon (For Glazing)|
|Egg||1 , beaten (For Glazing)|
1) In a small bowl, dip saffron in brandy for 10 to 15 minutes.
2) Strain and keep aside.
3) Mix yeast in water. Let stand for sometime then stir to dissolve. The water used should be warm (105°F to 115°F.) for dry yeast and lukewarm (80°F to 90° F.) for compressed.
4) Preheat hot oven (400°F.)
5) Sieve dry ingredients.
6) In a bowl, take milk and add egg and butter into it.
7) Mix in dried and candied fruits and blend with hands to coat.
8) Mix all liquids and saffron mixture to the dry ingredients, working with hands till blended.
9) Let stand and rise for 2 hours to prepare the bread at once or alternately refrigerate covered overnight.
10) Knead the dough onto floured board and roll lightly in flour. Shape into loaf.
11) Roll for 1/2 inch thick, making the length size of a long loaf pan. Alternately divide into halves for 2 pans (9x5x3 inches).
12) Roll the dough like a jelly roll and fold ends under.
13) Grease pans and place the dough in it with seams on bottom.
14) Press dough to level the top.
15) Beat egg with water and brush the loaf with it.
16) Place in warm room (about 75 °F to 80°F.) and let the dough rise for 2 to 3 hours till spongy. Refrigerated dough takes long to rise.
17) Place in oven and bake for 5 minutes.
18) Lessen to moderate (375°F.) and bake for 25 minutes.
19) Reduce to 350°F and bake for further 20 minutes.
20) Place on cake rack to cool. Slice once cooled.
21) Serve warm or cold.