Small Fruit Cake
|Golden raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dark raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dark rum/Brandy||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Candied pineapple||3⁄4 Pound|
|Candied red cherries||3⁄4 Pound|
|Mixed candied peel||8 Ounce (1 Jar)|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground mace||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Blanched almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Walnuts/Pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), softened|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Apple||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||1 Tablespoon|
|Blanched almonds||1 Tablespoon|
1. In large bowl, combine golden and dark raisins. Add rum; toss to combine. Let stand, covered, overnight.
2. Prepare fruits: With sharp knife, cut pineapple in thin wedges; cut 1/4 pound cherries in half; add to raisins with mixed candied peel; mix well.
3. On sheet of waxed paper, sift 3/4 cup flour with spices and baking soda; set aside. Preheat oven to 325°F.
4. Combine remaining 1/4 cup flour with nuts and fruits; toss lightly.
5. In large bowl of electric mixer, at medium speed, beat butter until light. Gradually beat in granulated sugar, then brown sugar, beating until very light and fluffy.
6. Beat in eggs, milk and almond extract until thoroughly combined.
7. At low speed, beat in flour mixture, mixing just until combined. Turn batter into fruits and nuts. Mix well with hands.
8. Turn into midget (2-inch) foil cups; use one slightly rounded tablespoon batter per cup.
9. Bake 40 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted near center comes out dry.
10. Let stand on wire rack to cool.
11. To store: Wrap cakes in cheesecloth soaked in rum or brandy. Place in a cake tin with a tight-fitting cover. Add a few pieces of unpeeled raw apple. (As cheesecloth dries out, resoak in rum or brandy.) Store in a cool place several weeks.
12. To decorate cakes for giving: Brush with corn syrup. Cut cherries in half. Decorate cakes with almonds and cherries.