Ice Box Fruit Cake
|Seeded raisins||3 Pound|
|Pitted dates||2 Pound|
|Candied cherries||50 (Red And Green)|
|Candied pineapple||1⁄2 Pound|
|Citron peel||1⁄4 Pound|
|Orange peel||1⁄4 Pound|
|Lemon peel||1⁄4 Pound|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Orange juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fruit juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Chop the fruit and peels and nuts
2. Grease 2-3 shallow pans with butter, and line with greased parchment or heavy paper.
3. In a large basin or pan, combine all the fruits, peels and nuts.
4. Sprinkle the spices over the fruit nut mixture and mix well using your hands or a large spoon.
5. In a bowl, add sugar to the orange juice, other fruit juice and brandy if using.
6. Stir until the sugar dissolves and pour the syrup over the fruit nut mixture.
7. Divide the mixture into the lined pans and spread well.
8. Press the mixture firmly in each pan using your finger tips so that it is tightly packed together.
9. Line surface of the mixture with waxed or grease parchment paper and place some pressure like a heavy plate on top.
10. Place in the icebox or a very cool dry place for 10 days.
11. Cut into squares and serve or wrap and include in gift hampers.