Individual Strawberry Shortcakes
|Strawberry mixture||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Strawberries||4 Cup (64 tbs), washed|
|Granulated sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Plain non fat yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||3 Tablespoon (Topping)|
|Vanilla||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Topping)|
1. For strawberry mixture: Combine berries and sugar. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Heat oven to 450°F.
3. For biscuits: Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt (if used) in bowl. Cut in CRISCO with pastry blender (or 2 knives) until all flour is just blended to form coarse crumbs.
4. Add milk. Stir until dry ingredients are just moistened. Place on floured surface. Knead gently with fingertips 8 to 10 times. Pat or roll into 9-inch circle about 1/2-inch thick. (Hint: Cover dough with waxed paper. Press and flatten with 9-inch round cake pan until dough is desired thickness.)
5. Cut with 2 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter. (Cut 7 biscuits; press dough scraps into ball and flatten again. Cut 3 biscuits.) Place on ungreased baking sheet.
6. Bake at 450°F for 12 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
7. For topping: Combine yogurt, brown sugar and vanilla. Stir gently until smooth.
8. To assemble: Split warm or cooled biscuits in half crosswise. Spoon about 1/4 cup fruit over bottom half. Add tops. Spoon yogurt sauce over tops. Add another spoonful of fruit.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2317 Calories from Fat 538
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 61 g93.9%
Saturated Fat 16.2 g81.1%
Trans Fat 6.7 g
Cholesterol 20 mg6.7%
Sodium 2384.8 mg99.4%
Total Carbohydrates 415 g138.2%
Dietary Fiber 23.6 g94.4%
Sugars 210.9 g
Protein 42 g84.9%
Vitamin A 5.7% Vitamin C 712.6%
Calcium 152.6% Iron 121.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet