Christmas Nut Cake
|Sour cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Whiskey||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Pecans/Hickory nuts||1⁄2 Pound|
|Candied red cherries||200 Gram (1 Package)|
1. Preheat the oven to 300° F
2. Grease a cake pan with butter and line the base with grease proof paper.
3. Into a large bowl, sift the flour along with nutmeg. Keep aside
4. Combine the raisins, nuts and cherries and toss them with a little additional flour. Keep aside
5. In a measuring jug or bowl, dissolve the soda in the sour cream. Keep aside.
6. In a large mixing bowl, add butter.
7. Using an electric beater or a wire whisk, cream the butter until soft.
8. Add the sugar to the butter and continue beating until the mixture is light and fluffy.
9. Add the egg yolks beating after each addition, in one direction.
10. Add the cream stirring lightly with a wooden spoon.
11. Gently fold the flour into the batter alternately with whiskey, working in pattern 8 movements to keep the batter light and fluffy.
12. Fold in the fruit and nut mixture along with the citron.
13. In a clean dry bowl add egg white and whisk until stiff.
14. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
15. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and place in a water bath in the lower level of the preheated oven.
16. Bake for 2 hours until the cake is rich brown and a skewer comes out clean
17. Remove from the oven and let cool in the tin for 5 minutes.
18. Invert onto a wire rack and cool completely.
19. Slice the cake and serve to guests at your Christmas party or wrap and include in you Christmas gift hampers.