Original Pioneer Whiskey Cake
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||6 , beaten|
|Red candied cherries||1 Pound, cut|
|Shelled pecans||1 Pound|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|White sugar||1 Pound|
|Bourbon whiskey||1 Pint|
|Golden raisins||1⁄2 Pound, ground|
1. In Bourbon, allow the cherries and raisins to soak overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 250 to 275 degrees.
3. Beat together butter and sugar till they get fluffy, then include the egg yolks and beat well.
4. Further add the soaked fruit along with the leftover liquid and flour to the butter-sugar-egg yolk mixture. While doing so reserve a small amount of flour for the nuts.
5. Thereafter add in nutmeg and baking powder and fold in beaten egg whites.
6. In the last add the lightly floured pecans.
7. In a large greased tub pan lined with greased paper, place the mixture and in a slow oven let it bake for 3 to 4 hours at 250 to 275 degrees and keep track of the baking time.
8. Let it cool thoroughly and then stuff the center hole with the cheese cloth soaked in Bourbon whiskey and store it in a tightly covered container.
9. Serve the cake after removing the cloth and
cutting it in wedges.