Eggless Cherry Fruit Cake
|Glace cherries||2 Ounce, chopped|
|Almonds/Other nuts||2 Ounce, chopped|
|Candied peel||4 Ounce, chopped|
|Lemon||2 , finely grated (lemon rind of 2 lemon)|
|Orange||1 , finely grated (orange rind of 1 orange)|
|Full cream sweetened condensed milk||14 Ounce (1 large can)|
|Sodium bicarbonate||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Grease an 8-inch round or square cake tin or a loaf pan with oil and line the bottom with greaseproof paper.
2. Preheat the oven to 325° F
3. In a large saucepan, combine all the fruits,nuts, peels, rind, butter, water and condensed milk.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
5. Then simmer on low heat, stirring, for another 3 minutes.
6. Take pan off the heat and allow the mixture to cool.
7. In a large mixing bowl, sift flour with salt and baking powder.
8. Stir in fruit nut mixture.
9. Mix quickly and lightly, only enough to moisten.
10. Turn the mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly with a spatula.
11. Place the tin in a pan of hot water and place in the hot oven.
12. Bake for about 2 hours.
13. Cover tin with wax paper and continue to bake for another 30 to 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and cake is well browned.
14. Remove and let the cake cool in the pan before inverting it onto a wire rack.
15. Slice and serve the cake warm or cold. You can serve it with a custard sauce or cream if you like.
16. You can wrap the cake in cling film and decorate it. Include this fruit cake in your holiday gift hampers.