Date & Nut Family Cake
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Dates and nuts||12 Ounce, chopped|
|Sodium bicarbonate||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Apple puree||1⁄2 Pint|
|Dates and nuts||1 Tablespoon, chopped (Cake topping)|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon (Cake topping)|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Cake topping)|
1. Grease an 8-inch X 5-inch loaf pan with oil or butter and dust it with flour.
2. Preheat the oven to 375° F
3. In a large mixing bowl, add the flour.
4. Cut the butter into small cubes and disperse in the flour.
5. Using your fingertips or a pastry blender, rub the butter into the flour, until it resembles cake crumbs.
6. Mix the sugar, cinnamon, dates, and nuts into the flour mixture.
7. Use an electric mixer to beat the mixture, until it is light and fluffy.
8. Make a well in the centre, and add apple puree.
9. Dissolve the Bi-carb in milk and add to well.
10. Mix quickly and lightly just until the dry ingredients are moistened. The batter will be a bit lumpy.
11. Turn the mixture into the prepared pan.
12. Combine the ingredients for topping for cake and sprinkle over the cake batter.
13. Bake in preheated oven for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
14. Remove and let cake cool in the pan before inverting onto serving plate.
15. Slice and serve the cake warm or cold, for breakfast or as a teatime snack.
Calories 423 Calories from Fat 157
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g27.5%
Saturated Fat 11.1 g55.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 46.3 mg15.4%
Sodium 133.8 mg5.6%
Total Carbohydrates 60 g20.1%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g8.7%
Sugars 26.5 g
Protein 5 g9.6%
Vitamin A 10.8% Vitamin C 0.06%
Calcium 2.7% Iron 11.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet