|Yeast cake||1 Tablespoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), lukewarm|
|Lemon||1 (peel grated)|
|Milk||1⁄4 Pint, lukewarm|
|Sugar||3 Ounce (according to taste)|
|Ground almonds||3⁄4 Pound|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Blanched almond flakes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Dissolve the yeast cake in a lukewarm water, together with 1 tablespoon flour for 15 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and sugar, and lemon peel.
3. Add the butter and rub into the flour mixture.
4. Add only as much lukewarm milk to these ingredients as required to make a soft dough.
Shape into a ball, cover dough and let it stand for about 45 minutes to rise in a warm oven.
Turn the dough out onto a floured board and roll it out, not more than half-an-inch thick.
5. Line a round flat pan with the dough.
6. Cover again and keep in a warm oven for about 15 minutes.
7. In a saucepan, combine the butter, sugar, almonds, and water.
8. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture is thick.
9. Allow the mixture to cool.
10. Spread the almond mixture evenly over the dough and sprinkle with almond flakes.
11. Place pan in a hot oven and bake till the top is a nice light brown.
12. When cool, cut into slices about 3-inches long and 1-inch broad.
13. Serve warm for breakfast or at tea-time.