Devonshire Block Cake
|Butter/Margarine||6 Ounce (175 Grams)|
|Sugar||6 Ounce (175 Grams)|
|Black treacle||4 Ounce (125 Grams)|
|Currants/Sultanas / a mixture of both||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Mixed peel||4 Ounce (125 Grams)|
|Plain flour||12 Ounce (350 Grams)|
1. Grease a 7 inch square cake tin, with oil, butter or baking spray.
2. Line the base of the tin with a grease proof paper; this will help to unmould the cake.
3. Preheat the oven to 275° F, 150° C
4. In a medium bowl, sift the flour to remove lumps and aerate it.
5. In a large basin, use an electric beater or wire whisk to cream the fat, sugar and treacle for 5 minutes or until light and creamy.
6. Gradually add the eggs, one at a time, beating into the cream until incorporated. If the mixture curdles, add a little flour.
7. Pour in the milk with the last egg and blend in. This will help to thin the cake batter and provide moisture to the cake.
8. Add the dried fruit and citrus peel and fold in using a spatula.
9. Lastly add the flour, in three batches, and use a spatula to fold gently into the mixture until well incorporated.
10. Pour the batter in the prepared cake tin and lightly tap the tin on a flat surface so as to level out the batter in it.
11. Place the tin on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake for 2 1/2 hours until the cake is rich brown and springy to touch.
12. Remove tin from the oven and gently invert the cake on a wire rack. Allow the cake to cool sufficiently.
13. Dust the cake with icing sugar using a fine mesh tea strainer.
14. Cut into pieces and arrange on a platter.
15. Serve with tea or as a dessert with custard sauce, ice-cream or cream if desired.
Calories 658 Calories from Fat 234
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g40.9%
Saturated Fat 15.6 g78.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 166.9 mg55.6%
Sodium 75 mg3.1%
Total Carbohydrates 100 g33.4%
Dietary Fiber 6.6 g26.5%
Sugars 47.7 g
Protein 8 g16.8%
Vitamin A 17.5% Vitamin C 92.3%
Calcium 18.3% Iron 31.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet