Eggless Sponge Fruit Cake
|Soda bicarbonate||2 Teaspoon|
|Allspice||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Candied peel||4 Ounce|
|Maple syrup||1 Tablespoon, warmed (1 dessertspoon)|
|Sour milk||1⁄2 Pint|
1. Grease an 8-inch X 5-inch pan with oil or butter and dust it with flour.
2. Preheat the oven to 375° F
3. In a large mixing bowl, sift in the flour and soda.
4. Cut the butter into small cubes and disperse in the flour.
5. Using your fingertips or a pastry blender, rub the butter into the flour, until it resembles cake crumbs.
6. Mix the sugar, spice and fruits into the flour mixture.
7. Make a well in the centre, and add warm syrup and milk.
8. Mix quickly and lightly just until the dry ingredients are moistened. The batter will be a bit lumpy.
9. Turn the mixture into the prepared pan.
10. Bake in preheated oven for about 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until a skewer comes out clean.
11. Remove and let cake cool in the pan before inverting onto serving plate.
12. Slice and serve the cake warm or cold, for breakfast or as a teatime snack.