|Fresh yeast/2 teaspoons dried yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (15 Gram)|
|Lukewarm milk||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Plain flour||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Mixed spice||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Lard||2 1⁄2 Ounce (65 Gram)|
|Soft brown sugar||2 1⁄2 Ounce (65 Gram)|
|Sultanas||5 Ounce (150 Gram)|
|Currants||5 Ounce (150 Gram)|
|Raisins||2 1⁄2 Ounce (65 Gram)|
|Candied peel||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
1. In a measuring cup, activate the yeast by dissolving it with the sugar in a little warm milk. Allow the yeast starter to stand in a warm place for 10 minutes until it is frothy.
2. Grease a 1 kg loaf tin with oil or baking spray.
3. Preheat the oven to 425° F, 220° C, 15 minutes before baking time.
4. In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, salt and spice and mix in the sugar, dried fruit and peel.
5. Cut fat into small cubes and rub into the dry ingredients.
6. Pour the yeast starter, remaining milk and beaten egg into the flour mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon or your hand to bind the ingredients into a soft and sticky dough.
7. Turn the dough out onto a flour dusted board or work surface and knead with the back of your palm for 10 minutes until it is soft, smooth and pliable.
8. Form the dough into a tight ball and return it to the work bowl.
9. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and rest in a warm dry place to allow the dough to ferment for 1 to 1 ½ hours till the dough has doubled in size.
10. When the dough has leavened, knock out the air by punching the dough with your fist.
11. Shape the dough into a loaf and fit into the greased tin.
12. Cover the tin with a kitchen towel and prove the bread again for another 20 minutes or until the bread has leavened again.
13. Brush the loaf with a little milk or beaten egg using a pastry brush.
14. Place the baking sheet on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the bread has risen and gets a golden brown crust.
15. Remove the bread from the oven and immediately invert the bread loaf to a wire rack and allow it to cool completely before serving.
16. When cool, use a bread knife to slice the loaf into 1/2 inch slices and serve with tea.
Calories 854 Calories from Fat 172
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.2%
Saturated Fat 11.1 g55.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 97 mg32.3%
Sodium 116.3 mg4.8%
Total Carbohydrates 162 g53.8%
Dietary Fiber 7.4 g29.5%
Sugars 55.2 g
Protein 13 g26.2%
Vitamin A 12.2% Vitamin C 42.9%
Calcium 14.2% Iron 11.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet