Caramel Frosted Butter Cake
|Sugar||3 Cup (48 tbs) (Divided)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Regular butter cake mix||1 Packet (2-Layer-Size)|
|Dairy sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cooking oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1. Grease a 10-inch cake tin with butter and dust with flour
2. Prepare a double boiler. In a medium saucepan, simmer water. Place a larger basin that fits over the saucepan without its base touching the simmering water.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
4. In the basin of the double boiler, combine 2 cups of the sugar, heavy cream, and salt, stirring only until sugar dissolves.
5. Bring mixture to boiling, without stirring
6. In a heavy bottomed skillet, melt 1/2 cup of the sugar over a medium-low flame, shaking the skillet occasionally but not stirring.
7. Once melted to form thick syrup, allow sugar to caramelize to golden brown, stirring frequently.
8. Pour the caramel into cream mixture in the double boiler basin
9. Insert a candy thermometer and fix to the side of the double boiler.
10. Boil sauce to 236°F.
11. Remove basin from boiler.
12. Stir in butter or margarine.
13. Keep aside for 5 to 10 minutes until slightly cool.
14. Replace basin over boiling water and cook again to 236°F.
15. Remove basin and let stand while baking cake.
16. For cake, in a large bowl, combine cake mix, sour cream, oil, and the remaining sugar.
17. Use an electric mixer to beat into a smooth batter
18. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined.
19. Pour batter into prepared cake tin
20. Bake in preheated oven or 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
21. Remove from the oven and cool in pan for 10 minutes.
22. Invert on wire rack and cool thoroughly.
23. While cake is still warm, pour caramel frosting and spread evenly on the top and sides.
24. Allow to set.
25. Neaten the top and sides using a palette knife dipped in luke warm water.
26. Transfer cake to a platter.
27. Slice at the table.