Dorset Apple Cake
|Self raising flour||8 Ounce (250 Gram)|
|Margarine/Butter /lard /dripping /a mixture of these fats||4 Ounce (125 Gram)|
|Tart cooking apples||12 Ounce (350 Gram)|
|Sugar||4 Ounce (125 Gram)|
|Milk||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Demerara sugar||1 Tablespoon (For Sprinkling)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F/ 180° C
2. Grease a baking sheet with oil or butter.
3. In a large mixing bowl, sift in flour with salt.
4. Cut fat into cubes and add to the flour.
5. Using your finger tips, rub the fat with the flour until the mixture resembles cake crumbs and all the fat has been rubbed in.
6. Cut apple into small dices and add to the flour and butter mixture.
7. Stir in the sugar.
8. Pour cold milk and use a spatula or a pallet knife to bind the mixture together until it forms soft and sticky dough.
9. Turn the dough onto a flour dusted work surface, dust with more flour and shape into an oval.
10. Transfer the cake onto the greased baking sheet. The cake will spread during baking so place it diagonally, allowing enough place to spread on the baking sheet.
11. Place the baking sheet on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake the cake for 50 minutes until it is firm and golden brown.
12. Remove the cake from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving
13. Serve the cake hot,
14. Sprinkle demerara sugar on the top when it is hot.
15. Slice it at the table and serve with ice cream or with custard if you like.