Rich Fruit Cake
|Shortening||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Seeded raisins||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Currants||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Shelled almonds||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Orange peel||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon peel||2 Tablespoon|
|Sliced citron||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Grape juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Grated nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground mace||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Royal baking powder||4 Teaspoon|
1) Pre-heat the oven by setting it to a moderate temperature.
2) Take a pan and cream the sugar and shortening together into it.
3) Beat egg yolks before adding them to the mixture.
4) Wash and dry the currants and raisins and add them to the mixture.
5) Sift 1 ½ cups of flour and add to mixture.
6) Blanch the almonds.
7) Take a food chopper and blend together blanched almonds along with the orange and lemon peels before adding them.
8) Add half the quantity of stiff egg whites which had been beaten along with the grape juice and stir them in.
9) Sift the flour along with baking powder and salt before adding it to the mixture.
10) Mix all the ingredients well and fold the remaining quantity of egg whites in.
11) Take a couple of pans measuring 12-inches and line them with four layers of brown paper.
12) Place the mixture in a pre-heated oven and bake for 60 minutes.
13) Place two layers of brown paper over the pans.
14) Keep on baking for 2 more hours after placing asbestos plates beneath them.
15) Serve as required.