Cherry Bakewell Cake
|Butter||8 Ounce, well softened, plus extra for greasing (200 Gram)|
|Golden caster sugar||8 Ounce (200 Gram)|
|Ground almonds||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Self raising flour||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract/Almond essence||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Morello cherry conserve||170 Gram (1/2 Of 340 Gram Jar)|
|Icing sugar||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Water/Lemon juice||6 Teaspoon|
|Toasted flaked almonds||1 Tablespoon|
1) Set your oven to preheat at 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Prepare a shelf at the middle of the oven.
2) Use 2 x 20cm round sandwich tins to line with butter and baking paper.
3) In a bowl combine all the cake ingredients and beat with an electric beater by adding a pinch of salt to form smooth batter.
4) In a large bowl, sift in icing sugar and add water or lemon juice to beat. Keep it aside.
5) Spoon this batter into the tins and level on tops. Place the tins inside the oven.
6) Bake for 30 minutes or until it turns golden and springy.
7) Let it remain inside the oven for another 25 minutes after baking.
8) Turn off on wire rack and allow cooling completely.
9) In a serving plate, place one sponge and spread the top with jam. Place the second sponge on top. Spread the thick icing on top of the second sponge.
10) Sprinkle nuts on top and let it set before serving.