Spiced Wedding Cake
|Butter/Margarine/shortening/beef suet||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs), firmly packed|
|Molasses||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||12 , separated|
|Flour||5 Cup (80 tbs), sifted|
|Powdered cinnamon||1 Tablespoon|
|Powdered allspice||1 Tablespoon|
|Powdered mace/Nutmeg||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Seedless raisins||3 Pound|
|Blanched almonds||1 Pound, halved|
|Chopped filberts||1 Pound|
|Citron||1 1⁄2 Pound, cut in thin slivers|
|Dried currants||1 Pound|
|Candied lemon peel||1⁄2 Pound, cut in slivers|
|Candied orange peel||1⁄2 Pound, cut in slivers|
|Cognac/Sherry||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking chocolate square||4 Ounce, melted (Four Squares)|
|Baking soda||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Hot water||1 Tablespoon|
1. Beat the butter, margarine or shortening until soft, or melt the suet; gradually add the brown sugar and beat until creamy; add the molasses slowly and beat well. Add the egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
2. Sift 4 cups of the flour with the spices and salt, and beat into the creamed mixture. Sprinkle the remaining cup of flour over the fruits, nuts and candied peel and add to the creamed mixture. Mix until thoroughly blended. Stir in the cognac or sherry. Add the cooled melted chocolate and mix well.
3. Beat the egg whites stiff and fold into the mixture.
4. Start oven, set at Moderately Slow, 300 degrees F. Cover the bottom of the oven with shallow pans containing 1 inch of hot water. Rub 6 deep bread pans with margarine or shortening and line each with heavy waxed paper; then rub the paper with margarine or shortening.
5. Dissolve the baking soda in the hot water and stir into the cake batter; mix well. Pour the batter into the 6 pans. Cover each pan with greased paper.
6. Bake 3 hours; remove the pans of water from the oven and the paper from the cake pans and bake 1 1/4 hours more. Let cakes cool thoroughly. Then frost and decorate as desired.