Chocolate And Orange Angel Cake
|Plain flour||1 Ounce (25 Gram Or 1/4 Cup)|
|Low fat cocoa powder||1⁄2 Ounce (15 Gram Or 2 Tablespoon)|
|Cornflour||1⁄2 Ounce (15 Gram Or 2 Tablespoon)|
|Cream of tartar||2 1⁄2 Milliliter (1/2 Teaspoon)|
|Caster sugar||4 Ounce (115 Gram Or 1/2 Scant Cup)|
|Orange rind||1 1⁄4 Tablespoon, blanched and shredded (Rind From 1 Orange, To Decorate)|
|For the icing|
|Caster sugar||7 Ounce (200 Gram Or 1 Cup)|
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/ Gas 4. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, cornflour and salt together three times. Beat the egg whites in a large clean, dry bowl until foamy. Add the cream of tartar, then whisk until soft peaks form.
2. Add the caster sugar to the egg whites a spoonful at a time, whisk ing after each addition. Sift a third of the flour and cocoa mixture over the meringue and gently fold in. Repeat, sifting and folding in the flour and cocoa mixture two more times.
3. Spoon the mixture into a non-stick 20 cm / 8 in ring mould and level the top. Bake for 35 minutes or until springy to the touch. Turn upside-down on to a wire rack and leave to cool in the tin. Carefully ease out of the tin.
4. For the icing, put the sugar in a pan with 75 ml / 5 tbsp cold water. Stir over a low heat until dissolved. Boil until the syrup reaches a temperature of 120°C/240°F on a sugar thermometer, or when a drop of the syrup makes a soft ball when dropped into a cup of cold water. Remove from the heat.
5. Whisk the egg white until stiff. Add the syrup in a thin stream, whisking all the time. Continue to whisk until the mixture is very thick and fluffy.
6. Spread the icing over the top and sides of the cooled cake. Sprinkle the orange rind over the top of the cake and serve.