|Butter/Margarine / shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs), firmly packed|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Cake flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Nuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Caramel frosting||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Start oven, set at Moderate, 375° F. Rub 2 8-inch layer pans with margarine or shortening.
2. Cream the butter, margarine or shortening until soft; gradually add the sugar, beating thoroughly until light and creamy. Add the egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Sift the flour and the baking powder together; add alternately with the milk in 3 portions to the creamed mixture; beat well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla then the nuts.
4. Whip the egg whites and salt stiff; fold into the batter.
5. Pour the mixture into the pans. Bake about 20 minutes.
6. Let the layers cool, then frost with Caramel Frosting or Icing.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5340 Calories from Fat 2061
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 228 g350.5%
Saturated Fat 84.7 g423.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1093.5 mg364.5%
Sodium 2637.2 mg109.9%
Total Carbohydrates 776 g258.6%
Dietary Fiber 33.4 g133.8%
Sugars 555.4 g
Protein 90 g179.1%
Vitamin A 76.9% Vitamin C
Calcium 92.6% Iron 23.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet