|Butter/Margarine / shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs), firmly packed|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Cake flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Nuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Caramel frosting||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Start oven, set at Moderate, 375° F. Rub 2 8-inch layer pans with margarine or shortening.
2. Cream the butter, margarine or shortening until soft; gradually add the sugar, beating thoroughly until light and creamy. Add the egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Sift the flour and the baking powder together; add alternately with the milk in 3 portions to the creamed mixture; beat well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla then the nuts.
4. Whip the egg whites and salt stiff; fold into the batter.
5. Pour the mixture into the pans. Bake about 20 minutes.
6. Let the layers cool, then frost with Caramel Frosting or Icing.