Silver Wedding Cake
|10 inch fruit cake||1 (Round Bought Or Homemade Rich, Covered With Almond Paste)|
|Icing sugar||1 Tablespoon (For Dusting)|
|Icing||2 1⁄2 Pound (1 1/4 Kilogram, White Ready-To-Roll)|
|Silver leaf sheet||2 (Edible, Or 1 Small Tub)|
|Silver sugared almonds||15|
1. Place the cake on the board. Reserve 200 g (7 oz) of the icing. Dust your work surface with icing sugar and roll out the remainder of the icing to a circle, 38 cm (15 inches) across. Lift the icing over the cake and smooth it around the sides, trimming off the excess around the base. Use the reserved icing to cover the cake board, trimming off the excess around the edges.
2. Thinly roll out the icing trimmings and cut out 3 each of the numbers 2 and 5. Set aside on a sheet of greaseproof paper.
3. Use a pair of tweezers to tear a little silver leaf from the sheet or tub. Hold it over the cake, about 5 cm (2 inches) away from the edge. Lightly dampen the surface of the cake where the silver is to be applied and then lower it into position, smoothing it down with a dry brush.
4. Arrange 3 number 25s on the cake, spacing them evenly apart and each about 5 cm (2 inches) from the edge, and fill up the areas between them with additional silver leaf. Apply more areas of silver leaf to the cake board.
5. Position the candles on top of the cake and secure the ribbon around the sides, finishing in a bow. Secure the white ribbon to the edge of the board. Scatter the sugared almonds in clusters over the cake and board.