Banana Nut Cake With Rum Butter Frosting
|Sifted cake flour||2 1⁄3 Cup (37.33 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Mashed ripe bananas||1 Cup (16 tbs) (2 medium size)|
|Buttermilk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 stick)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Chopped walnuts||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Rum butter cream frosting||1 Cup (16 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
1. Grease two 9x1 1/2-inch round layer-cake pans; dust lightly with flour; tap out excess.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon onto wax paper. Stir buttermilk into mashed bananas in a small bowl.
3. Beat butter or margarine, sugar, and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer at high speed, 3 minutes. (Finish mixing cake by hand.)
4. Stir in flour mixture alternately with banana-milk mixture, beating after each addition until batter is smooth. Stir in the 1/4 teaspoon vanilla and 1/4 cup of the chopped nuts; pour the cake batter into prepared pans.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 30 minutes, or until centers spring back when lightly pressed with fingertip.
6. Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; loosen around edges with a knife; turn out onto wire racks; cool completely.
7. Put layers together with rum butter cream frosting; frost side and top with remaining frosting. Press remaining 1/2 cup chopped nuts on sides of cake. Garnish top of cake with banana slices, if you wish. (Dip slices in orange or pineapple juice to keep them white.)
Calories 1074 Calories from Fat 381
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 43 g66.2%
Saturated Fat 16.4 g82%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 176.3 mg58.8%
Sodium 712.2 mg29.7%
Total Carbohydrates 142 g47.2%
Dietary Fiber 6.1 g24.2%
Sugars 62.9 g
Protein 15 g29.2%
Vitamin A 16.5% Vitamin C 0.04%
Calcium 28.2% Iron 38.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet