|Cream of tartar||7⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Powdered sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Lemon extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Cake flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted 5 times|
1. Start oven, set at Moderate, 350° F. Have ready a 9-inch tube pan, ungreased.
2. Whip the egg whites with the cream of tartar and salt until foamy; beat in half the sugar. Beat the egg yolks and the lemon extract until light and thick; beat in the remaining sugar. Combine the yolk mixture with the egg white mixture and fold together with a spoon until well blended.
3. Sift in the flour and fold into the mixture. To avoid breaking air bubbles do not beat after adding the flour.
4. Pour into the tube pan. Cut through the mixture several times with a knife to break large air bubbles. Bake 50 minutes.
5. When baked, invert the pan on its tube or a wire cake rack and let stand until thoroughly cool. Loosen with spatula or knife. Frost or leave plain. Do not cut the cake, but break apart into pieces with 2 forks.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1825 Calories from Fat 289
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g49.1%
Saturated Fat 10.4 g51.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1295.6 mg431.9%
Sodium 1033.8 mg43.1%
Total Carbohydrates 318 g106.2%
Dietary Fiber 15.5 g62%
Sugars 185.8 g
Protein 69 g138.1%
Vitamin A 30.3% Vitamin C
Calcium 26% Iron 19.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet