Eggless Christmas Cake
|Sultanas||3 Ounce (75 gram / 2/3 cup)|
|Raisins||3 Ounce (75 gram / 2/3 cup)|
|Currants||3 Ounce (75 gram / 2/3 cup)|
|Glace cherries||3 Ounce, halved (75 gram / 2/3 cup)|
|Chopped mixed peel||2 Ounce (50 gram / 1/4 cup)|
|Apple juice||18 Fluid Ounce (250 milliliter / 1 cup)|
|Toasted hazelnuts||1 Ounce (25 gram / 1/4 cup)|
|Pumpkin seeds||30 Milliliter (2 tablespoon)|
|Ginger stem pieces||2 , chopped|
|Lemon||1 , rind finely grated|
|Skimmed milk||4 Fluid Ounce (120 milliliter / 1/2 cup)|
|Sunflower oil||2 Fluid Ounce (50 milliliter / 1/2 cup)|
|Wholemeal self raising flour||8 Ounce (225 gram / 1 3/4 cup)|
|Mixed spice||2 Teaspoon|
|Brandy/Dark rum||45 Milliliter (3 tablespoon)|
|Apricot jam||2 Tablespoon (For brushing)|
|Glace fruits||2 Tablespoon (for decoration)|
1. Place the sultanas, raisins, currants, cherries and peel in a bowl and stir in the apple juice. Cover and leave to soak overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F/ Gas 2. Grease and line an 18 cm / 7 in square cake tin.
3. Add the hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds, ginger and lemon rind to the soaked fruit. Stir in the milk and oil. Sift the flour and spice and stir into the mixture with the brandy or rum.
4. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for about 1 1/2 hours, or until the cake is golden brown and firm to the touch.
5. Turn out and cool on a wire rack. Brush with sieved apricot jam and decorate with glace fruits.
Calories 514 Calories from Fat 131
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.1%
Saturated Fat 1.8 g9.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.5 mg0.17%
Sodium 359 mg15%
Total Carbohydrates 87 g28.9%
Dietary Fiber 3.8 g15.4%
Sugars 43 g
Protein 8 g15.9%
Vitamin A 1.1% Vitamin C 45.7%
Calcium 7.5% Iron 7.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet