|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||5 , separated|
|Lemon juice/Vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Grated lemon peel||1 Teaspoon|
|Sifted cake flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted 4 times|
1. Sift the sugar before measuring. Have the eggs stand at room temperature 30 minutes before making the cake. Start oven, set as directed
2. Separate the yolks and whites of the eggs. Beat the egg whites stiff, but not dry, and gradually beat in 1 tablespoon sugar for each egg white; set aside. (With the sugar added, the whites will remain stiff for some time.)
3. Add the lemon juice or vinegar to the egg yolks and beat until thick and lemon-colored; add the lemon peel and gradually the remaining sugar; beat thoroughly. Combine egg yolk mixture with the beaten egg whites and fold together with a spoon until well blended and smooth.
4. Sift together the flour and salt and fold into the egg mixture. To avoid breaking air bubbles do not beat after adding the flour.
5. Pour into an ungreased 9-inch tube pan, or 2 ungreased 9-inch layer pans, or 12 to 18 ungreased muffin pans. Cut through the mixture several times with a knife to break large air bubbles.
6. Bake 1 hour or more in a Moderate oven, 325° F., for the tube pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes in Moderate oven, 350° F., if in layer pans or in muffin pans. When baked, invert the pan on a wire cake rack and let stand until thoroughly cool. Loosen with spatula or knife. Do not cut the cake but break apart into pieces with 2 forks.