Boiled Water Sponge Cake
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Sifted sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Grated lemon peel||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Boiling water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sifted cake flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Plus 2 Tablespoon)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
1. Start oven, set at Moderate, 325° F. Have ready a 9-inch tube pan, ungreased.
2. Beat the egg yolks until thick and light; gradually add the sugar, beating until creamy. Add the grated peel, lemon juice, vanilla and boiling water and beat thoroughly.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder together 3 times. Gradually add to the egg mixture only until well blended.
4. Beat the egg whites and salt until stiff and fold lightly into the batter.
5. Pour into the tube pan. Bake about 50 minutes. Invert the pan on its tube or a cake rack to cool.