Apple Upside Down Cake
|Unsalted butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Apples||2 Pound (Miltons, Gravensteins, Mcintosh Or Golden Delicious)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), unsifted|
|Granulated sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), softened|
|Orange juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon rind||1 Teaspoon, grated|
1. Prepare the Glaze: Using your fingertips, blend the 1/4 cup butter or margarine, the brown and granulated sugars, 3 tablespoons flour, salt and cinnamon in a medium-size bowl until crumbly. Pat the mixture evenly into a greased 8 x 8 x 2-inch square microwave-safe dish.
2. Prepare the Topping: Wash, peel, quarter and slice the apples into a large bowl. (You should have 6 cups.) Sprinkle the apples with the lemon juice. Arrange the apple slices over the sugar mixture in 5 overlapping rows. Repeat with the remaining apples.
3. Prepare the Batter: Sift together the 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour with the 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, the baking powder and salt onto a piece of wax paper. Sift together 2 more times.
4. Beat the 1/4 cup butter in a medium-size bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla until well blended. (The mixture may appear curdled.)
5. Using a wooden spoon, alternately stir in the flour in 3 portions and the milk or juice in 2 portions. Stir in the grated lemon rind. (The batter will be thick.) Spread the batter evenly over the apples.
6. Microwave the cake on Full Power for 14 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched with your fingertip. Invert the cake immediately onto a platter, spooning the hot glaze over the top. (The glaze will thicken as it cools.)