Family Chocolate Cake
|Caster sugar||4 Ounce (125 Grams)|
|Self raising flour||1 1⁄2 Ounce (100 Grams)|
|Cocoa powder||1 Ounce (25 Grams)|
|Unsalted butter||1 1⁄2 Ounce, melted (40 Grams)|
|Vanilla icing||1 Teaspoon|
|Dark chocolate||12 Ounce (350 Grams)|
|Unsalted butter||8 Ounce (250 Grams)|
|Icing sugar||3 1⁄2 Ounce, sifted (100 Grams)|
1. Put the sugar and eggs into a bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water and, using hand-held beaters, beat the mixture for 5 minutes or until it reaches the ribbon stage.
2. Sift over the flour and cocoa powder and carefully fold into the mixture with the melted butter and vanilla extract until combined
3. Oil and base-line a 20 cm (8 inch) spring-form cake tin. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake in a preheated oven, 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4, for 25 minutes until risen and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes. Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
4. Make the icing. Melt the chocolate and butter together in a bowl set over a pan of just simmering water (do not allow the bowl to touch the water). Remove from the heat and beat in the icing sugar. Set aside to cool and then chill for 1 hour until thickened. Beat until pale and fluffy.
5. Cut the cake in half and use half the icing to sandwich the halves back together. Use the remaining icing to cover the top and sides of the cake, swirling the mixture with a palette knife. Serve in wedges.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5149 Calories from Fat 3081
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 348 g535.1%
Saturated Fat 210.1 g1050.6%
Trans Fat 0.7 g
Cholesterol 1452.2 mg484.1%
Sodium 948.4 mg39.5%
Total Carbohydrates 476 g158.5%
Dietary Fiber 34.4 g137.5%
Sugars 378.9 g
Protein 54 g107.6%
Vitamin A 157.5% Vitamin C
Calcium 54.2% Iron 205.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet