Christmas Fruit Cake
|Sultanas||8 Ounce (250 Gram)|
|Raisins||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Dried cranberries||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Currants||6 Ounce, chopped (175 Gram)|
|Orange||1 , juiced|
|Grated orange rind||1|
|Orange juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Whisky||7 Fluid Ounce (200 Milliliter)|
|Unsalted butter||8 Ounce, softened (250 Gram)|
|Dark brown sugar||8 Ounce (250 Gram)|
|Plain flour||8 Ounce (250 Gram)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground mixed spice||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Glace cherries||4 Ounce, chopped (125 Gram)|
|Brazil nuts||4 Ounce, roughly chopped (125 Gram)|
|Blanched almonds||4 Ounce, roughly chopped (125 Gram)|
|Chopped mixed peel||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Ground almonds||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Thick cut orange marmalade||2 Tablespoon|
1. Put the sultanas, raisins, cranberries, currants, orange rind and juice and half the whisky into a large bowl. Leave to marinate overnight.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and light. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, until incorporated, adding 2 tablespoons of flour each time.
3. Sift the remaining flour, baking powder and mixed spice together and fold into the creamed mixture, alternately with all the remaining ingredients, except for the whisky.
4. Oil and line a 25 cm (10 inch) cake tin with 2 layers of baking paper. Transfer the cake mixture to the prepared tin, smooth the surface, making a small dip in the centre, and bake in a preheated oven, 160°C (325°F), Gas Mark 3, for 1 hour. Reduce the temperature to 150°C (300°F), Gas Mark 2, and bake for a further 1 1/4-1 1/2 hours until the cake is cooked and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
5. Remove the cake from the oven, prick it all over with a skewer and pour over the reserved whisky. Leave to cool in the tin for 30 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.