Buttermilk Spice Cake
|Butter/Margarine/shortening||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Sifted cake flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Powdered cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Powdered cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Grated nutmeg||1 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||7⁄8 Cup (14 tbs)|
|Chocolate frosting||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Start oven, set at Moderate, 350° F. Rub a 9-inch tube pan with margarine or shortening.
2. Beat the butter, margarine or shortening until light; gradually add the sugar and beat until creamy; add the egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
3. Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, soda and spices together and add to the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
4. Whip the egg whites stiff, fold into the batter and pour into the pan. Bake 60 minutes or more.
5. Let the cake cool thoroughly; then frost with Chocolate Frosting.