Fourth Of July Cake
|Sifted cake flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Double acting baking powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Egg whites||3 Medium|
|Granulated sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Soft shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fudge frosting||1 Cup (16 tbs) (White Colored, Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Fresh strawberries||1 1⁄2 Pint|
1. Start heating oven to 375°F. Grease, then flour bottom of 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan.
2. Onto wax paper, sift flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In small bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until foamy; then gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating until mixture holds soft peaks; set aside.
4. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, cream shortening with 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy—2 minutes. Then add vanilla and almond extracts. At low speed, add flour mixture alternately with milk until just blended. Scrape bowl, beaters; at same speed, blend in beaten egg whites just until smooth. Turn into prepared pan.
5. Bake 25 to 27 minutes, or until cake tester, inserted in center, comes out clean. Cool in pan, on wire rack.
6. When cool, decorate cake, in pan, with White Fudge Frosting: In upper left hand corner of cake, frost a 5-by-5-inch field for stars. With rest of frosting in pastry bag with number 45 tube in place, make 6 lengthwise stripes, about 1/2 inch wide, equidistant from each other, across cake, starting 3/4 inch in from bottom edge and ending 3/4 inch in from top. This leaves alternate unfrosted stripes. Cover with foil; refrigerate.
Early on day:
1. Wash, hull, and dry strawberries. Slice in half lengthwise; then lay between white stripes on cake, also along top and bottom edges, making 7 rows of strawberries in all.
2. Place well-drained blueberries in field of white frosting. Cover; refrigerate.
3. At serving time, cut between rows of strawberries.