Rosy Pear Upside Down Cake
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Raspberry jam/Strawberry jam||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Red food coloring||2 Drop|
|Firm ripe pears||14 Ounce, peeled, halved, and cored (2 Pieces)|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cardamom||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon, melted and cooled|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Plain non-fat yogurt||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
1. Place the oven rack in the lower third of the oven; preheat to 375°F. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with nonstick spray.
2. Place the butter in a microwavable cup measure; cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on High until melted, 20-30 seconds. Stir in the jam and food coloring (it using) until blended. Spoon in the center of the prepared pan, spreading evenly (it's not necessary to spread all the way to the edge of the pan).
3. Place a pear half cut-side down onto a work surfice, and cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch slices. Invert, cut-side up. onto your palm or a spatula. Press down lightly to fan out the slices, and place in the prepared pan with the stem towards the center. Repeat with the remaining pear halves, arranging the slices to overlap slightly. Arrange any smaller pieces in the center. Bake until the pears are almost tender, 15-20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, ginger, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
5. Whisk together the sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth; whisk in the yogurt. Add the flour mixture and stir just until combined; do not overmix.
6. Drop the batter by spoonfuls over the hot topping. (Don't worry about covering the topping; the batter will spread as it bakes.) Bake until the top of the cake springs back when lightly pressed and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Let stand 3 minutes; run a knife around the edge. Invert onto a serving platter, using potholders, and gently shake the pan to loosen. Remove the pan; let cool 15 minutes and serve warm.