Molasses Layer Cake
|Butter/Margarine or shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (firmly packed)|
|Molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cake flour||2 Cup (32 tbs) (sifted)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1. Start oven, set at Moderate, 375° F. Rub 2 9-inch layer pans with margarine or shortening.
2. Cream the butter, margarine or shortening until soft. Gradually add the brown sugar and beat until creamy; add the egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition; beat in the molasses.
3. Sift the flour with the soda.
4. Combine the water and vanilla.
5. Add the flour alternately with the water and vanilla mixture in 3 equal parts, beating well after each addition.
6. Whip the egg whites with the salt until stiff; fold into the batter. Pour into the layer pans. Bake about 30 minutes.