Coconut Angel Food Cake
|Flour||3 Ounce (3/4 Cup, 90 Gram)|
|Cornflour||1 Ounce (1/4 Cup, 30 Gram)|
|Caster sugar||7 Ounce (1 Cup, 220 Gram)|
|Cream of tartar||1 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla essence||1 Teaspoon|
|Shredded coconut||1 1⁄2 Ounce (45 Gram)|
|For fluffy frosting|
|Sugar||10 Ounce (1 1/4 Cups, 315 Gram)|
|Water||4 Fluid Ounce (1/2 Cup, 125 Milliliter)|
|Shredded coconut||3 Ounce, lightly toasted (90 Gram)|
1. Sift together flour and cornflour three times, then sift once more with 1/4 cup/60 g/2 oz of the sugar.
2. ln a large bowl beat egg whites, salt, cream of tartar and water until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla essence, then fold in remaining sugar, one tablespoon at a time (a).
3. Sift flour mixture over egg white mixture then gently fold in. Sprinkle coconut over batter and fold in.
4. Spoon batter into an angel cake tin (b), then draw a spatula gently through the mixture to break up any large air pockets. Bake at 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for 45 minutes. Invert tin and allow the cake to hang (c) while it is cooling.
5. To make frosting, cook sugar and water until syrup reaches the soft-ball stage. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Continue beating while pouring in syrup in a thin stream, a little at a time, until frosting stands in stiff peaks. Spread over top and sides of cake and press toasted coconut onto sides.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2843 Calories from Fat 366
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 44 g67.3%
Saturated Fat 38 g190.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1146.2 mg47.8%
Total Carbohydrates 596 g198.8%
Dietary Fiber 14 g56.2%
Sugars 491.1 g
Protein 23 g45.2%
Vitamin A Vitamin C 7%
Calcium 4.2% Iron 41.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet