Brandy Refrigerator Cake
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon (Plain)|
|Cold water||2 Tablespoon|
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Cognac||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Angel food cake slice/Sponge cake||12|
|Heavy cream/Evaporated milk||1 Cup (16 tbs), whipped|
1. Soak the gelatin in the cold water 5 minutes; place over boiling water to dissolve it. Let it cool.
2. Cream the butter or margarine until soft;gradually add the sugar and beat until creamy.
3. Add the egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition; beat in the cognac, then the macaroons; stir in the cooled dissolved gelatin.
4. Beat the egg whites and salt until stiff; fold them into the brandy mixture.
5. Line a 1-quart baking dish with the slices of cake. Pour the brandy mixture into it. Cover with waxed paper and place in the refrigerator to chill 10 to 12 hours.