|Canned cling peaches||17 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Grated lemon peel||1 Teaspoon|
|Chopped pecans||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Double-acting baking powder||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vanilla ice cream scoop/Butter-pecan ice cream||8 Small|
Early on day, or 1 hour and 30 minutes before serving:
1. Drain peach slices, reserving juice.
2. Start heating oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch layer-cake pan.
3. In small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, blend butter with 1/2 cup sugar until creamy; then beat in eggs, one at a time, vanilla, lemon peel, 1/4 cup chopped pecans, and 1 tablespoon reserved peach juice.
4. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add, by thirds, to butter-sugar mixture, beating until smooth. Spread half of this batter over bottom of prepared pan; over it arrange peach slices evenly; top with rest of batter.
5. Combine 1/4 cup chopped pecans with 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over top of batter.
6. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until cake tester, inserted in center, comes out clean. Let cake stand in pan 10 to 15 minutes; then loosen around edges and turn out of pan.
6. Serve warm, cut into 8 wedges, topping each wedge with a small scoop of ice cream. Or let cake cool completely before cutting, topping, and serving.