Lemon Chiffon Cake
|Caster sugar||3 Ounce (75 Grams Or 6 Tablespoon)|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Tablespoon|
|Sifted flour||1 Ounce (50 Grams Or 1/2 Cup)|
|Lemon||1 , shredded (For Decoration)|
|For the filling|
|Eggs||2 , separated|
|Lemon||1 , grated rind and juice|
|Water||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Gelatin||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Low fat fromage frais||4 Fluid Ounce (125 Milliliter Or 1/2 Cup)|
|For the icing|
|Lemon juice||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Icing sugar||4 Ounce, sifted (115 Grams Or Scant 1 Cup)|
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C/350°F/ Gas 4. Grease and line a 20 cm / 8 in loose-bottomed cake tin. Whisk the eggs, sugar and lemon rind together with a hand-held electric whisk until thick and mousse-like. Gently fold in the flour, then turn the mixture into the prepared tin.
2. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cake springs back when lightly-pressed in the centre. Turn on to a wire rack to cool. Once cold, split the cake in half horizontally and return the lower half to the clean cake tin.
3. Make the filling. Put the egg yolks, sugar, lemon rind and juice in a bowl. Beat with a hand-held electric whisk until thick, pale and creamy.
4. Pour the water into a heat-proof bowl and sprinkle the gelatine on top. Leave until spongy, then stir over simmering water until dissolved. Cool, then whisk into the yolk mixture. Fold in the fromage frais. When the mixture begins to set, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks. Fold the egg whites into the mousse mixture.
5. Pour the lemon mousse over the sponge in the cake tin, spreading it to the edges. Set the second layer of sponge on top and chill until set.
6. Slide a palette knife dipped in hot water between the tin and the cake to loosen it, then carefully transfer the cake to a serving plate. Make the icing by adding enough lemon juice to the icing sugar to make a mixture thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Pour over the cake and spread evenly to the edges. Decorate with the lemon shreds.
Calories 331 Calories from Fat 47
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g8.1%
Saturated Fat 1.6 g8.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 211.5 mg70.5%
Sodium 78.9 mg3.3%
Total Carbohydrates 61 g20.3%
Dietary Fiber 2 g7.9%
Sugars 51.1 g
Protein 13 g25.6%
Vitamin A 5.1% Vitamin C 48.2%
Calcium 5.3% Iron 8.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet