Berry Ginger Shortcakes
|Fresh blueberries/Raspberries / blackberries / sliced strawberries / both||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Finely chopped crystallized ginger||2 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg product/1 egg||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Refrigerated / Frozen, Thawed)|
|Non stick cooking spray||1|
|Frozen light whipped dessert topping||4 Ounce, thawed (1/2 Of An 8 Ounce Container)|
|Dairy sour cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Fat Free / Light)|
1. In a small bowl, combine berries, the 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (if desired), and the crystallized ginger. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 425°F. For shortcakes, in a medium bowl, stir together flour, the 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, the baking powder, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center of flour mixture. In a small bowl, combine buttermilk and egg product or egg. Add to flour mixture all at once, stirring just until moistened.
3. Lightly coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, pat dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Using a floured 2 1/2-inch star-shaped cookie cutter or a round biscuit cutter, cut dough into star shapes or rounds, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place on prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Cool slightly on a wire rack.
5. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine whipped topping and sour cream. Split shortcakes in half. Place bottoms on dessert plates. Spoon berry mixture and whipped topping mixture over bottoms. Replace shortcake tops. If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Calories 1123 Calories from Fat 236
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g57.1%
Saturated Fat 24.3 g121.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 63.3 mg21.1%
Sodium 655.1 mg27.3%
Total Carbohydrates 181 g60.3%
Dietary Fiber 8.1 g32.6%
Sugars 79.6 g
Protein 20 g39.8%
Vitamin A 20.3% Vitamin C 36.3%
Calcium 44.5% Iron 36.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet