Classic Strawberry Shortcake
|Strawberries/1 package, 16 ounces frozen strawberry halves||1 Quart|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking powder||3 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|10x confectioners sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), softened (1/2 Stick)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs), whipped (Use Either Plain Or Whipped)|
1. Wash, hull and halve berries; combine with granulated sugar in a large bowl. Stir lightly, crushing a few of the berries. Let stand 30 minutes or until juices run freely.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles cornmeal.
3. Add milk; stir lightly with fork just until blended.
4. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead, about 20 turns.
5. Divide dough in half. Put each half into a greased 8x1 1/2-inch layer pan; or, for a more textured biscuit, pat both halves into 8-inch rounds on a large cooky sheet.
6. Bake in a very hot oven (450°) 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. Mix 10X sugar and butter in a small bowl until smooth.
8. Spread bottom layer with butter mixture and half the strawberries and cream.
9. Top with remaining layer, strawberries and cream.
Calories 1159 Calories from Fat 552
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 63 g96.4%
Saturated Fat 28.7 g143.4%
Trans Fat 3.4 g
Cholesterol 118.1 mg39.4%
Sodium 639.8 mg26.7%
Total Carbohydrates 139 g46.4%
Dietary Fiber 7.3 g29.1%
Sugars 58.1 g
Protein 14 g28.9%
Vitamin A 26.4% Vitamin C 232.4%
Calcium 48.1% Iron 32.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet