Classic Strawberry Shortcake
|Strawberries/1 package, 16 ounces frozen strawberry halves||1 Quart|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking powder||3 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|10x confectioners sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), softened (1/2 Stick)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs), whipped (Use Either Plain Or Whipped)|
1. Wash, hull and halve berries; combine with granulated sugar in a large bowl. Stir lightly, crushing a few of the berries. Let stand 30 minutes or until juices run freely.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles cornmeal.
3. Add milk; stir lightly with fork just until blended.
4. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead, about 20 turns.
5. Divide dough in half. Put each half into a greased 8x1 1/2-inch layer pan; or, for a more textured biscuit, pat both halves into 8-inch rounds on a large cooky sheet.
6. Bake in a very hot oven (450°) 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. Mix 10X sugar and butter in a small bowl until smooth.
8. Spread bottom layer with butter mixture and half the strawberries and cream.
9. Top with remaining layer, strawberries and cream.