Coffee Cake Wreath
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (105° To 115°F)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Packages, 0.25 Ounce Each)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened (1 Stick)|
|All purpose flour||3 1⁄4 Cup (52 tbs)|
|Filling of choice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. In cup, combine warm water, yeast, and 1 teaspoon sugar; stir to dissolve. Let stand until mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat butter and remaining 1/2 cup sugar until blended. Increase speed to high; beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Reduce speed to low; beat in egg until blended. Beat in yeast mixture, salt, and 1/2 cup flour just until blended (batter will look curdled). With wooden spoon, stir in 2 1/2 cups flour until blended.
3. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes, working in enough of remaining 1/4 cup flour just to keep dough from sticking.
4. Shape dough into ball; place in greased large bowl, turning dough to grease top. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise in warm place (80° to 85°F) until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
5. Meanwhile, prepare filling of choice; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
6. Punch down dough. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; cover and let rest 15 minutes. Meanwhile, grease large cookie sheet.
7. With floured rolling pin, roll dough into 18" by 12" rectangle. Spread filling of choice over dough to within 1/2 inch of edges.
8. Starting at a long side, roll up dough jelly-roll fashion. Carefully lift roll and place, seam side down, on prepared cookie sheet. Shape roll into ring; press ends together to seal. With knife or kitchen shears, cut ring at 1 1/2-inch intervals, up to but not completely through inside dough edge. Gently pull and twist each cut piece to show filling. Dough will be soft; use small metal spatula to help lift pieces. Cover and let dough rise in warm place until risen slightly, about 1 hour.
9. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F. Bake wreath until golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.
10. Prepare icing, if using: In small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar with milk until smooth. When wreath is cool, drizzle with icing.