Sauteed Codfish Cakes
|Cod fillets||1 Pound, skinned (Use Fresh)|
|Baking potato||8 Ounce, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks (1 Large)|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable oil||3 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced or crushed through a press|
|Minced fresh dill||3 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Grated lemon zest||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Hot pepper sauce/Tabasco sauce||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Thinly sliced scallions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Crushed unsalted soda crackers||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), crushed|
|Unsalted butter||2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped fresh parsley||4 Teaspoon|
|Lemon wedges||4 (For Garnish)|
1. Place the cod fillets on a plate in a steamer and steam, covered, over moderate heat until opaque throughout and the edges flake easily with a fork, 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool. Flake the fish into small pieces.
2. Put the potato chunks in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, partially covered, over moderately high heat. Cook until tender, 10 to 12 minutes; drain well. Transfer to a medium bowl and mash with a fork until smooth. Stir in the whole egg, egg white, milk and lemon juice.
3. In a small skillet, preferably nonstick, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil. Add the onion and saute over moderate heat until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
4. Stir the sauteed onion, dill, salt, pepper, lemon zest, Worcestershire, Tabasco, scallions, flaked cod and half of the cracker crumbs into the potato mixture; blend well. Cover and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. (The codfish mixture can be prepared up to 1 day in advance.)
5. Place 3 tablespoons of the remaining cracker crumbs on a sheet of waxed paper. Divide the fish mixture in half. Using a 1/4-cup measure, scoop out 6 codfish cakes and drop them onto the cracker crumbs; turn to coat both sides with the crumbs as you shape the mixture into 2 1/2-inch cakes. Repeat with the remaining 3 tablespoons crumbs and cod mixture to make 6 more fish cakes.
6. In a large heavy skillet, melt 1 teaspoon of the butter in 1 teaspoon of the remaining vegetable oil over moderately high heat. Add half of the codfish cakes, reduce the heat to moderate and fry until crusty and golden brown on the bot torn, 8 to 10 minutes. Turn and cook until golden on the second side, about 5 minutes longer. Repeat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, 1 teaspoon butter and 6 codfish cakes. Serve 3 fish cakes per person. Sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon of the parsley and serve with a lemon wedge.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1335 Calories from Fat 399
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 44 g67.5%
Saturated Fat 15.3 g76.4%
Trans Fat 2.4 g
Cholesterol 433.7 mg144.6%
Sodium 1498.1 mg62.4%
Total Carbohydrates 133 g44.2%
Dietary Fiber 13.9 g55.5%
Sugars 20.9 g
Protein 108 g216.1%
Vitamin A 129% Vitamin C 236.1%
Calcium 54% Iron 80.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet