Moravian Sugar Cake
|Yeast||2 Tablespoon (2 Package)|
|Lukewarm water||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs), scalded|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|All purpose flour||5 Cup (80 tbs), sifted|
|Light brown sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Soften the yeast in the water.
2. Add the sugar, salt and three tablespoons of the butter to the milk. Cool to lukewarm, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Add the yeast and eggs. Add the flour, a cup at a time, and stir until blended. Dough must be soft.
3. Turn out on a floured board and knead the dough until smooth. Place in a greased bowl, grease the surface, cover and let rise in a warm place (80° to 85° F.) until doubled in bulk, or about one and one-quarter hours.
4. Press portions of the dough into three greased pans 7 by 11 inches for thick cakes, or into two pans 11 by 15 inches for thinner cakes. Grease the surfaces, cover and let rise until doubled, or about thirty minutes.
5. Pinch the dough all over with the thumb and finger to make holes in it. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and nutmeg and very generously with the light brown sugar. Dot with bits of the remaining butter.
6. Bake in a preheated oven (400° F.) until brown with a bubbly topping, or about twenty minutes. Serve warm or reheat. Traditionally, the cake is sprinkled with confectioners' sugar before serving. Cut into squares.
Calories 1531 Calories from Fat 458
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 52 g80.1%
Saturated Fat 31.3 g156.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 232.3 mg77.4%
Sodium 797.8 mg33.2%
Total Carbohydrates 250 g83.5%
Dietary Fiber 5.7 g23%
Sugars 129 g
Protein 22 g44.7%
Vitamin A 31.8% Vitamin C 0.15%
Calcium 13.2% Iron 45.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet