Islands Banana Cake
|Biscuit mix||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground mace||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||6 Tablespoon (3/4 Stick)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Flaked coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ripe bananas||3 Medium|
1. Combine biscuit mix, granulated sugar, mace, eggs, milk, vanilla and 3 tablespoons of the butter or margarine in a large bowl. Beat with electric mixer at low speed 1/2 minute to blend ingredients. Increase speed to medium-high; beat 4 minutes. Scrape side of bowl often with rubber spatula.
2. Turn batter into a buttered 13x9x2-inch baking pan; spread evenly.
3. Bake in a moderate oven (350°) 30 minutes, or until center of cake springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip. Cool cake a few minutes on wire rack.
4. Set oven temperature to broil.
5. Combine brown sugar and remaining 3 tablespoons butter or margarine in a small bowl; stir in coconut and walnuts.
6. Peel bananas; slice diagonally and arrange petal fashion, overlapping, on top of cake. Sprinkle with brown sugar mixture.
7. Broil, with top 3 inches from heat, just until topping is bubbly and lightly browned, about 2 minutes (watch cake carefully while browning). Cool cake on wire rack. Cut into squares while still warm.