|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Use Either Margarine Or Butter)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Applesauce||1 Cup (16 tbs), slightly sweetened|
|Sifted flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Powdered cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Powdered cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped seedless raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped dates||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Shortening||1 Teaspoon (Extra For Greasing Baking Pan)|
1. Start oven, seat at Moderate, 350° F. Grease a loaf pan, 9 by 5 by 3 inches.
2. Blend the shortening or other fat, sugar, salt and egg.
3. Sift the dry ingredients together.
4. Add the applesauce alternately with the sifted dry ingredients. Stir in the nuts and fruits. Mix thoroughly. Pour into the greased pan.
5. Bake about 45 minutes. When baked, let stand in the pan about 5 minutes, then remove from the pan onto the cake rack, right side up, to finish cooling.
6. When thoroughly cooled, dust with confectioners sugar or frost with a white icing.