Vanilla Pineapple Upside Down Cake
|Butter||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Pecans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Pineapple slices||8 , drained|
|Sifted cake flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Butter||1 Tablespoon, melted|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Melt the 1/3 cup butter or margarine in a 9-or 10-inch iron skillet; add the brown sugar and stir until melted. Remove from the heat and sprinkle the pecans into the syrup. Arrange the pineapple slices over the nuts.
2. Start oven, set at Moderate, 325° F.
3. Sift the flour with the baking powder.
4. Beat the egg yolks until light, add the cooled, melted 1 tablespoon of butter or margarine and the vanilla and mix.
5. Sift the sugar. Beat the egg whites with the salt until stiff. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, to the beaten egg whites, beating well after each addition. Fold in the egg yolk mixture; then fold in the sifted flour, about 4 tablespoons at a time, and mix well. Pour the batter over the pineapple.
6. Bake about 30 minutes. With a broad knife loosen the cake from the sides and bottom of the skillet and turn out onto a serving platter. Let the skillet rest on the cake for 1 minute so that the syrup will drain onto the cake.