Betty's Mother's Day Spice Cake
|Butter||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Self rising flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Ground clove||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs) (You may substitute 1 cup of milk and 1 tablespoon lemon juice)|
|Frosting||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (spiced buttercream frosting)|
1. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans, and line with waxed paper.
2. Grease and flour the waxed paper and set the pans aside.
3. Preheat oven to 325 degree F.
4. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter with an electric mixer.
5. Beat in brown sugar and then gradually add white sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
6. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat after each addition.
7. Stir in vanilla and then add self-rising flour to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour. Mix well after each addition.
8. Add ground clove and ground cinnamon. Mix well.
9. Into the prepared pan, pour batter and pop it in oven. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a clean toothpick when inserted in the center comes out clean.
10. Cool in pans until cake is completely cooled to room temperature.
11. Spread spiced buttercream frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Serve and enjoy!