Praline Applesauce Cake
|Sifted cake flour||2 3⁄4 Cup (44 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Applesauce||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Seedless raisins||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Praline topping||2 Tablespoon|
1. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; dust lightly with flour; tap out any excess.
2. Sift cake flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves and salt into large bowl of an electric mixer.
3. Add shortening and applesauce; beat at medium speed 2 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl often.
4. Add the eggs; beat 2 minutes longer, or until blended; fold in raisins. Pour into prepared pan.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 35 minutes, or until the center springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip. Remove from oven; cool in baking pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Raise the oven temperature to "Broil."
6. Make Praline Topping; spread evenly over warm cake.
7. Broil, 6 inches from heat, 3 to 4 minutes, or until topping bubbles up and turns golden. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares